Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Thoughts from the studio…


Dear Creative Adventurers,

Years ago I was reading through some artists blogs. They were counting their strokes as a marker of a good painting. I tried to wrap my head around how this might be equal to a good painting. When I looked at their pictures I could feel their toil of counting all those strokes. I found them to be flat. As if they were painting by number and measured strokes. I wanted to ask if they held a counter in their hand as they stroked their canvas? Did they just count for 30 seconds and multiply by the time they painted?

Today I was painting water lilies from memory. I got so excited as I began the shadowing process of the lily pads as they sunk into the water. Water for me is hard. So much fun when the water colors lend a hand and spread out in the right directions. I had this aha moment. I think this is what the artists were trying to express by counting their strokes. There is this moment in every painting where you put a stroke down and the picture pops! Before this moment the picture is paper and shadowy colors. After the objects in the picture have become dimensional. Most of the time I know which of the objects in the painting will pop. Sometimes a stroke changes how the objects will be seen. This stroke is what I paint for.

So if I were to count my paint strokes I would most likely tell you how many to this stroke and how many after. I have decidedly struck this out of my repertoire. Counting my strokes seems counter intuitive to being creative.

Emily Froemel
edgeatmirage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment